Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Work it!

I have to give a presentation tomorrow. On any topic I want. Which is sorta hard. I have decided to talk about why high heels are bad for you, but why I wear them every day. Turns out, unless you're rocking some orthopedics, women's shoes generally seem to be bad for the feet. So why not go for the heels? I believe in the power of high heels to make me walk like a bad-ass. I actually returned a pair of perfectly good heels the other day because they were too short. I'm to the point where I need a minimum of three inches strapped to the bottom of my feet Monday through Friday. Sure, the whole thing started because I was too lazy to go get my dress pants tailored. But I'm a convert. A true believer.

Of course, in doing my research for my shoe presentation, I stumbled across an online debate and am *shocked* to learn that I like to wear heels only because I have been brainwashed by a misogynistic culture that seeks to objectify me by making me wear shoes I can't run in. I guess I know what people with womyn's studies degrees from Yale debate and think about all day*.... Get jobs, people!! And, no, "freelancer" is not a job without an additional descriptor!

I actually read 2 books in January. Finally got my hands on the Clarence Thomas autobiography (don't hate). Then did Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield in one day. I laughed, I cried. It was super. Next on my list is Living to Tell the Tale, the first volume of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's memoirs. He's my favorite, favorite, favorite of all time. Talk to me in six months and maybe I'll have finished half the book.

* I know plenty of women's studies majors. Unless they went to Yale, I wasn't talking about them.

No comments: