Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A tightwad's worst nightmare

I sort of thought about wedding planning this weekend. This whole industry is such a scam. My parents got married at a church and had punch and finger foods at grandma's house. Now, we have somehow been brainwashed into thinking that you just simply can't do it right for under $20,000 ($40,000 on the coasts). I must admit, it's brilliant that the players in the industry have managed to do for the wedding what DeBeers has done for diamonds. I visited theknot.com, a website that's just not for people like me. When I searched for "casual" or "inexpensive" or something like that, there was some article about how smaller weddings have to be even more perfect since a smaller group means more chances for people to notice all the little ways your wedding sucks. I was sitting there trying to think if, out of all the weddings I've been to, anything actually horrified me. Deciding that, no, nothing ever had horrified me, I determined that my friends and I are either really laid back or just total white trash. Either way, it's cool with me.

I found a place where I could probably get in and out for under $10,000 for maybe 60 guests. Then I laughed at the fact that I was sitting there thinking, "hmmm, not a bad deal." And then I wanted to cry. But I did find a nicer version of the classic party barge and thought to myself, "this is perfect." So we'll see. If the party barge idea is a no-go, I might end up on an island somewhere. The only thing keeping me from eloping is the fact that I want an awesome dress that I look great in, and I want people to see me in said dress. A little self-centered? Absolutely. But my shrink said that the twenties is a totally appropriate time to be a little selfish. As soon as I have kids, I can see this being a problem.

A random parting thought. Okay, so I understand that there are some sickly looking ladies walking the catwalk. And it's pretty disturbing to think of someone being 5' 9'' and weighing like 110 pounds. But why is the phrase "size 0" code for anorexic bitch? I think it was Spain that's telling stores that window displays shouldn't have small sizes in the windows. Um, what about those of us who are just small? Like for real - just eating normally and not working out (or hell, eating healthy and working out in normal doses). I realize that no one is shedding tears for the hurt feelings of the naturally small. But, still...

5 comments:

Administrator said...

Mrs. Underground and I did it for less than $5K. We hired the cook at a local hospital to cater (I know, I know, but he came cheap!) and didn't serve alcohol. Cheap, yes, but we had the excuse that the reception was at the church and they didn't allow alcohol. Use an iPod with your favorite music on it and create a playlist, no need for a band or DJ (especially a DJ, they're kind of creepy). We stole ideas from fancy wedding magazines and then my friends and family and I set up the reception site so it looked all fancy and expensive. The more you do yourself, the cheaper it is and you can still make it look great. Mrs. Underground's dress and the photographer were where we spent all the money, and I think that's the way to go because that's what people will remember.

you like raisins said...

I was with you until the part about "the more you do yourself." Therein lies the conundrum - too lazy to save money, too cheap to have someone else to the work.

Unknown said...

Hello, you have two awesomely rad future sister-in-laws who are willing to help you with do-it-yourself stuff AND we live in the state where hopefully you would be having it....this is Kate (who is the cooler of the two) NOT Ellen btw

Anonymous said...

please talk to my g/f. she has insane ideas about weddings. i am curled up and shaking in a corner right now.

Wendell said...

I don't understand the big fuss about skinny girls. And logistically speaking, it doesn't make sense to have enormous manicans. If anyone gets low self esteem from an manican, I think it is their own fault...really they're plastic people.