Sunday, February 11, 2007

Better him than me

My fat cat has dandruff and it's pretty gross. I'm betting that it's a combination of cat chow and the fact that Opie is too fat to groom himself properly. So, I guess I'll have to start shelling out money for the good cat food (damn it; I don't like the idea of the cats eating better than me). I don't really know how to make Opie lose weight. My old vet used to harp on me about his weight, but then had no advice for how to keep a husky cat thin in a two-cat household. The vet I've been using for the past few years just seems to accept that Opie is a big fellow. Like a plus-size model who shouldn't be forced to lose weight.

I've been looking at the goodies that getting married promises to bring me. The wedding's pretty small, so it's not like I'll be able to set up a hotel or anything, but the idea of having nicer stuff than we have now is exciting. At some point, I was all, "I can afford my own stuff, I don't need to register." Screw that. I want high-thread-count sheets. I want soft towels. I want shams that match my lightweight, pickstich quilt (not the one we have now, but the new one we'll get later). I want a coffee maker with a timer. I want, I want, I want!! I don't think I've ever felt this rabidly greedy before. I'm not sure if I should feel guilty about it. I don't really want stuff that's that nice. Just nicer than what I have now. Which, depending on what we're talking about, isn't saying much.

I am debating the whole china thing. My sister registered for china and then returned it all. Part of me likes the idea of having the nice stuff for special occasions. The other part of me totally doesn't understand why I would need two sets of dishes. We're not fancy people. But maybe we'll get turned into fancy people without knowing it. Of course, if we wake up one day to discover that we're fancy, I guess we could always rush out and buy china then. We could then lie to our kids and say we got it when we got married, but that it's just been hidden away. That way, whichever kid inherits the crap will have some romantic idea about the history of the nice dishes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a fat cat and he lost a little weight once he was put on Science Diet for obesity.

Teeny