Monday, October 09, 2006

Columbus Day - I don't know what I'm celebrating, but I have the day off

One benefit of working for the government is the holiday schedule. I don't really know what Columbus Day is all about. Italian-Americans? I'm down with that. The destruction of an entire group of people upon the "discovery" of America? Not so much down with that. Either way, I have the day off. Apparently some bosses make their underlings work today since Columbus Day is a bogus holiday. My feeling is that, if there's one thing Congress knows all about, it's vacation and time off. And who am I to argue with the experts?? I went to get my eyes checked out. Which meant that they dilated my pupils, which means that my plan of spending the day reading on my porch is shot to hell. I did finally solve the mystery of the blurry, floaty thingy that happens every now and again and prevents me from being able to see what I'm typing or reading. Ocular migraines. Apparently I am lucky that they're not followed by actual migraines. Annoying nonetheless.

I would do laundry, but some jerko has decided to just leave his crap in the washing machines in the basement. I am never comfortable touching other people's laundry, so I just wait to see if this person may get inspired to take his stuff out. Then I can wash my darks. Ohhh, the excitement never ends.

I went to the horseraces this weekend. It was packed as it was opening weekend. It was interesting to see that the races inspire men to wear pink. I guess horses bring out the genteel side of frat guys. It's better than seeing a horde of them in T-shirts memorializing the last date-dash or foam party they attended. I didn't gamble since (a) I'm broke-ass and (b) it proved to be far too complicated. Apparently I should stick to slot machines.

No comments: