Friday, September 08, 2006

Even when I win, I lose

So I started thinking that maybe I was paying too much for car insurance, so I go online and get some quotes. Turns out I am paying too much for car insurance. So I settle on a new company, thinking that the savings will cover like 2/3 of my cable bill. Sweet. Then I call to cancel my other policy. Between the cancellation fee and other such nonsense, I owe the old insurance company almost exactly what I was saving by switching. Even my best efforts at budgeting are being thwarted.* I guess in six months it will make sense.

And I don't have to work this weekend because I think I am all caught up. I mean, not like all caught up, but in a good place. Not that I have anything to do besides work. Although I did make sure to bring my Star Wars box set with me when I moved. So, between Star Wars and the cats, I guess I have reached a new, nerdly low.

I am torn. I need a new suit. I only have 2 that I really like and one of them doesn't have pants, just a skirt. I prefer pants so as to avoid anyone seeing my legs. My other suits are ill-fitting monstrosities involving poly-blends that I got as a 1L when I was broke and trying to get a jobby-job. I was talking to my sister about this and she offers to get me a new suit as a late graduation present. Which is awesome. She's insisting on it. But since I owe her a not-insignificant amount of money, I am thinking that I'd be better off knocking off part of the debt. Which just makes me feel cheap, like I'm trying to not pay her back. And it's less fun. I'd still be paying her every month and wouldn't have a new suit. It's a tough call. I think I am going with the suit option. Instant gratification.

* To anyone who wants to say something about how if I'm budgeting I shouldn't have cable: Shut up. Some things are just necessary. It's not like I'm getting highlights anytime soon, and those are really necessary.

1 comment:

blogazon said...

Go with the suit. Good clothes make you feel good, and a good suit will last for years. Besides, in a few months our terrible post-law school/ Mastercard owns me debts will stabilize/disappear and you can start a sensible repayment plan to your sister.

Signed,

The Devil