Monday, September 25, 2006

file it under "inappropriate responses"

I have an odd habit of saying "thank you" to people who ask me for money on the street. I always say that I don't have any cash* and then I say "thank you." Which is odd. Thank you, street person, for asking me for money; unfortunately I don't have any. Today I corrected myself and said "sorry" right after thanking the guy. He was quite nice about it. Which is better than the guy who says "yeah right, bitch."**

Counting down the days until I get to see Mr. Raisins. We're going to his high school reunion in Houston. Which will either be really fun or really boring. I'm putting my money on boring since I don't know these people. But as long as I get to see my man, it's all good. And maybe some chick I've never met will compliment my highlights. Because getting compliments from people I don't know and whose opinions I couldn't care less about is what life is all about, right??

And it sounds like the class behind me really kicked ass and took names in the clerkship department. Good for them. Although I worry that many of them will die of heart attacks before they hit 50; they seem so high strung. I thought I was high strung, but I am pretty sure that this crop takes the cake and makes me look positively relaxed. Or maybe it's just the fact that they're all together a lot and they feed off each other's high-strung-ness. Like that'll get any better in a clerkship followed by life at BigLaw.

* Which is invariably true; I only work as late as I do every day of the week because the garage is free after 6 p.m. and, since I never have cash, I generally can't leave any earlier.

** Clearly the person who responds this way should really think of honing his strategy. Or wait. Maybe it's true that nothing makes people open their wallets like being called a bitch.

1 comment:

blogazon said...

What would your reaction be if a homeless person said, "nice highlights, bitch."