Tuesday, September 19, 2006

How to not make a good impression

Remember that episode of Friends where Joey says that something is a "moo point." It's like a cow's opinion; it doesn't matter. It's moo. I assume that everyone has seen that, so when I drop that line people look at me like I'm a total idiot that doesn't know that the point is actually moot. I guess not everyone watched Friends. Same goes for the line in Pretty in Pink where Ducky Dale says something that sounds like "toush" instead of "touche." Remind me to not say "toush." Especially to men since it's much more likely that men have either never seen Pretty in Pink or don't remember this line if they have seen it.

Thank goodness for rebates and deposit refunds. I got some money that I can use to (a) pay the student loan payment that was actually due last week but that I only paid 1/3 of because I didn't actually have any more to give them, and (b) pay the other three student loan payments that are due within the next few days. I know some people kept their BarBari books. I wanted them gone from my life and I wanted the book deposit back. I don't think it's hubris. Heck, maybe I failed. But $175 never seemed so important to me. Ditto for the rebates received from the cell phone company from when Mr. Raisins finally moved him into the new millennium with a cell phone and I got myself a really cute new cell phone.

I make five different student loan payments a month. I consolidated when I graduated from college. Unfortunately I didn't know at the time that interest rates would drop like they did, so I am locked in at 7.75%, which totally sucks. What sucks more is the private loan from undergrad that has an interest rate of over 12%. Then I have a few consolidation loans from law school at much better rates. But I am not good enough at math to figure out if I should put all or some of this crap into one loan or what. So I make five student loan payments a month. By the end of the year I'll be making seven or eight as my grace period ends on a few more loans. I think I may lose my mind. Nevermind, I have lost my mind.

2 comments:

blogazon said...

My BarBri book deposit has been spent already. And what is up with rebates? It seems like they are back in vogue. Rebate for home internet connection, rebate for delivery of soon-to-be-purchased stove...I guess rebates are the best way for manufacturers to induce people in to buying a product b/c it is "on sale" and who then forget to mail in the rebate. Not me.

Anonymous said...

Related but different: I read somewhere that Matt LeBlanc is going pro se in his divorce case. (His wife hired a lawyer.) Joey Trebbiani rejects our kind! (I use "our kind" optimistically considering there's a good chance that I failed the bar.)