Monday, September 04, 2006

Let the games begin

I am one of those people who is rarely comfortable. Even in the summer, once the car is nice and cool, I really don't need the A/C blasting away. Makes me cold. I wear a pashmina at work because I'm cold. I wore the same two hoodies to law school for three years because I was cold. Today I had to leave work (yes, I was working on a holiday; my life is sad, I know) because it was so cold that I couldn't really feel my feet, my nose was running, and my hands were so cold I couldn't type. So I left and started a two-hour boondoggle to find a heater appropriate for use in the office. Turns out that my original plan to hit up the super Wal-Mart was right on the money. Unfortunately, I kept hoping that every store I stopped at along the way would have something to meet my needs. I suppose I could have borrowed the super-fancy, remote-controlled heater in the office of one of my coworkers, but he seems like maybe he's not the kind of guy who's okay with other people just borrowing his stuff. I should probably wait until I'm sure he can stand me before I move into borrowing territory. And Mader may have convinced him that I'm a spastic troll, so we'll see how long it takes to get into his good graces.

This week begins the avalanche of clerkship applications. I can smell the tension in law schools and journal offices everywhere. It really is a little tortuous that you're not supposed to get calls for interviews for like a week. Whatevs. I got through it and so will they. Maybe they can experience the crushing feeling of rejection that inspires adults to cry openly on airplanes as they fly home in defeat. Or the feeling that comes along with showing up at an interview only to have the judge walk out of his office with one of your friends and say, "I'm sure you two know each other. Sorry you came all the way out here, but I just hired your friend." And having that happen more than once. Or getting a law school essay question during an interview whose subject matter is nowhere within your universe of knowledge or experience and literally laughing out loud in response because, in reality, this interview has gone so far off course that all you can do is laugh and hope you don't fall on your face on your way out the door. Because not falling on your face is the best you can hope for. The list goes on and on.

But most interviews won't be like that. Most people will land something and, in the end, everyone will end up where they're supposed to. So don't freak out, and feel free to slap some sense into those who are freaking out. And remember that no one likes an asshole. Unless you're the guy who got a clerkship with Kozinski. Who cares if anyone likes you. I'd go ahead and make a t-shirt to mark the occassion. Because, well, you're a badass and you can always make new friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear the reassurances, Raisins. FYI--the TLR board has a Kozinski clerk among us. We now tremble in his presence.

you like raisins said...

Don't tremble. Acknowledge his accomplishment by teasing him mercilessly. Because if he's the kind of guy I think he is, he will be completely embarrased. But you gotta take the good with the bad. And in nerd-dom, this means being needled for the accomplishments that you're right to be proud of and wishing people would just shut up about it.