Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The excitement never ends

So I left work early to go vote today. Good thing the county coroner was running unopposed since I must admit that I'm not sure how I would have evaluated the candidates' platforms. There's some weird eminent domain issue on our ballot - the county wants to condemn the water company. I'm not quite sure why, although apparently it's owned by a German company, so I've heard that there may be some xenophobic undercurrent. I'm not quite sure that I would ever vote for the government to take over a service that seems to be operating just fine since I can't really think of anything that the government does especially well (okay, except waste tons of money).

Last night we took in a basketball game. This is a big basketball school and we heard that we'd never get tickets to a real game, so we went to the exhibition game against South Carolina Upstate. I thought the upstate of South Carolina was North Carolina. Anyways, it definitely wasn't as exciting as I'd hoped, but I guess the experience is different for real games.

Tomorrow we get to go on a prison tour. Federal prison. Apparently someone was killed at this prison a few weeks ago. Super. All I can think of is that episode of The Simpsons where Lisa goes to visit the cute environmentalist in jail and she's walking down the corridor and someone shouts "Fire in the hole!" and the flaming roll of TP goes flying. As long as we don't have to like tour the yard or anything I'm sure it will be fine.

2 comments:

The Once and Future TC said...

You vote for the county coroner there? And people object to electing judges....

Anonymous said...

As long as we don't have to like tour the yard or anything I'm sure it will be fine.

Or eat the food. I once had to eat prison food when I toured a male pentitentiary. And pretend you're deaf because all the men are going to whoop and holler at you.

Teeny