Sunday, November 12, 2006

Too much time

This recent, solitary three-day weekend has highlighted my predicament. I either need friends, a hobby, or both. I left Texas on purpose when I graduated from law school. For some reason, I thought I would have the same kind of social support system I did in Texas. Or that it would be relatively easy to build such a support system. Not so much. Now I am faced with a conundrum I have only heard about and never experienced: making friends in a new city as a working adult. I think my sister is currently experiencing the same thing since most of her friends from dental school have moved and she works in a small office. She runs with a woman from the office, but this woman refuses to call her by her first name, insisting on calling my sister "doctor." I tend to agree with my sister that someone who will only call you "doctor" can't for sure be on the friends list.

I haven't ever really had hobbies. Unless drinking with your girlfriends counts. But I don't have girlfriends here, so drinking as a hobby would involve me drinking alone. I think that's called a disease. I have been thinking that maybe I can find an art class to take - maybe meet some people and learn what it means when people use the word "perspective" when talking about art. I always wanted to take an art class in college, but since I have no artistic talent to speak of, I was worried I would fail such a class. Do college art classes give A's for effort?

I'll do some investigating and figure this out. There has to be a better way of spending my time than watching entire seasons of Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team and House of Carters. Of course, watching House of Carters made my appreciate my own family: decidedly messed up, but in a safe, middle America kind of way. Those Carters are really fucked up. It is entirely possible that this feeling will pass and I'll end up spending my year here like I did in Austin: sitting on my ass, perfecting the butt-groove in my couch.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should learn how to knit!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a foreign language class? Are your fellow clerks devoid of socializing?

Teeny

you like raisins said...

I don't want to say devoid. One is married and his wife is pregnant and I think they like to do their thing. One is pretty quiet, although he's coming out of his shell. The one I could have called to save me from my boredom was out of town this weekend. My life probably isn't as sad as this post makes it sound.

Anonymous said...

I'm placing my bets on the quiet one being the most entertaining.

I think whatever you choose to do should be something that you enjoy and that benefits you. You don't want to take pottery and then end up with a room of vases.

Teeny

Anonymous said...

I think bodybuilding would compliment your awesome haircut.