Thursday, November 09, 2006

UPS, where is my purse?

So, I was a little bummed at not being able to make it to Austin for the swearing in, so I decided to console myself with a new purse. Banana had some 40% of deal if you paid with your Banana credit card. I only have the card because I wanted the 10% off when I was buying a new suit. Anyways, UPS left one of their little notes on my door saying they tried to deliver it, but that I wasn't home and they'd try again. Well, they didn't try today and it doesn't look like they're going to. I'm working from home tomorrow since it's a holiday and I am expecting another package, so it's not a huge deal; I'll get it. But when your life is as uneventful as mine, getting a purse in the mail is a real event. And UPS is ruining it for me.

Tomorrow is veterans day. Thanks to all our veterans for doing what I won't because I'm a wuss. I would like to take the day off to reflect on the sacrifices made by our men and women in uniform while watching tons of crap on tv, but work is rearing its ugly head.

The prison was interesting. I have never felt so pretty or desired. They don't tolerate cat calls at this prison, but I guess there's nothing they can do about obvious leering. The prison is in Appalachia (I actually work with a guy who grew up in a holler not far from where we were; really, he grew up in a holler). Apparently they get a lot of prisoners from D.C., so the warden said there were some, um, cultural issues at first with the staff and the prisoners. What struck me as we walked around was that prison seems a lot like high school, only with shanks, homemade "hooch," and a good chance of getting raped by your roommate. You can go to art class, computer class, join a band, maybe do some ceramics. No free weights, though. Those aren't allowed in federal prisons anymore. And I did learn that you can cut through a chain-link fence with a binder clip. There wasn't a gift shop, so no souvenirs. I did get a coffee mug, though. It'll look nice on my desk. Maybe people will be afraid of me. You know, because I've been to prison.

1 comment:

Administrator said...

I've learned to love that federal courts are closed on federal holidays (even the fake ones) because it means our pretrial order that was due tomorrow is now due Monday. Hooray!