Thursday, August 17, 2006

Amsterdam? Superior.

Apologies to the five people who read this thing. Our hotel doesn't have free Internet, so we're shelling out 11 euro for two hours. That is the only bad thing I will say about our hotel. I thought initially that Amsterdam and I may get off on the wrong foot since I had to walk too far in the rain to get the hotel, dragging my luggage through the streets. But no, all was well. We got to the hotel and were upgraded to the superior suite. It is superior and costs more than the Raisins were willing or able to pay for a hotel room. So we're happy.

Amsterdam is awesome. I've done the touristy things. The Van Gogh museum was cool, as was the Rijksmuseum (although a lot of it is closed right now, so I feel a little robbed). I always feel a little weird about going to museums since my thoughts on art boil down to, ohhh, that's pretty. People around me are waving their arms, no doubt using words like "perspective" and other such nonsense. I just assume they're poseurs and I am the one keeping it real since my response is visceral, even if it's the same reaction a five-year-old would have.

I dragged my other half to the Oude Kerk, which was great. Saw where Rembrandt's wife is buried in there. Creepy. Walked through the Red Light District, which was just depressing.

Mostly, we just walk for hours every day. My feet are killing me, even in tennis shoes. Every joint below the waist aches. Apparently I am made for the sedentary lifestyle I have been living. But it's good walking. I just really like this city. And I have managed to figure out the bike lanes so I can avoid having the natives ring their little bells at me and call me a *$%#^ American. That only happened once, on the first day (before I realized that bikes rule this city). I don't know what the adjective was, but I don't think it was something nice.

People who don't know me well enough to know better are probably thinking that I am smoking all the weed in the country. But, no. Pot's not really my thing. I don't really have a thing. I don't have an issue with pot in the abstract. Just not my thing. So, I'm not here for the drugs. Strangers and acquaintances often ask me where to find weed, so I guess I look the part in some way.

Anyways, it's probably a really boring vacation by a lot of people's standards, but it's been great for me. I get to sleep in. I don't feel a need to see everything. But I will be glad to get back, if only to eavesdrop on a conversation in English (Dutch is a hideous language, in my humble opinion) and to get a chicken sandwich.

4 comments:

Probative said...

If you go to Amsterdam, you have to smoke the hash. I am pretty sure that was on the bar.

11 euro for 2 hours! I paid 75 cents an hour in Panama at a cafe.

Seriously though, the trip sounds like its been wonderful. Keep posting.

blogazon said...

Being asked where to buy pot is probably better than being asked, "how much?" while strolling in the Red Light district.

Internet runs about 3 ringget an hour in Malaysia (a little less than US$1) but has been free (well, included) in two of the places I've stayed including the oil rig.

Wendell said...

First of all, Dutch is not a hideous language. Once understood, Dutch tends to make more sense than speaking American.

Second, make sure to buy a stroopwaffel while there. Sometimes street vendors will sell them...but you or Mr. Raisin probably know that.

Anyway enjoy your trip! I'm quite jealous.

Tot schrijfs!

you like raisins said...

I maintain that Dutch is a guttural language whose noises I could never hope to master. As for the stroopwaffel - I've eater about a million!