Saturday, August 26, 2006

So far, so good

Made it here alive. All is well and my new city is really nice. My cats are finally accepting their new reality. I only had to dope up Opie once for the drive. He spent the next 18 hours with his mouth open, wearing a drool beard. That was creepy. Once we finally got the cats into the apartment he totally flipped out and hid in the bathroom closet for a few hours. Mr. Raisins thought it would calm him down to show him the balcony off of my second-floor apartment. Opie flipped out even more (expected since this cat never goes outside) and proceeded to jump over the railing, bounce off the metal awning, and land on the ground (I'm not confident that he landed on his feet). I found him cowering in some bushes with a busted lip. It was sad. And now he's sitting at my feet, seemingly content. Man, this is one dumb animal.

My apartment is nice - it's in an old house converted into a fourplex. I apparently live in a very nice part of town, which is new for me. The layout is a little odd and I think I am going to make the dining room my bedroom. It's bigger and it's where the really big closet is located. I don't really have any furniture and the fewer rooms I have to deal with, the better. It would be weird to have people walk through my bedroom to get to the kitchen if I was one to have guests over with any regularity. But I'm not, so that's not really an issue.

I got a couch today. I got it half off. I thought I would be totally cool with getting some used number that I would then give back to the Goodwill or whoever a year from now, but then I discovered that my aversion to used mattresses applies to any used furniture that's potentially absorbent. So I got a new couch. I did keep my vow of keeping my clothes and other assorted goods in drawers made of cardboard or plastic. But now I have discovered that no dresser or armoire means no surface space for crap like the mickey mouse doll I drooled all over as a baby or the music box my mom gave me that plays the song from Love Story. I'll have to get some shelving or something I guess. I never knew I was so attached to my dustcatchers until I had to box them back up because they didn't have anywhere to go.

OK, I am off to go choose a health insurance plan. The fun never ends.

No comments: