Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Fashion Gods are laughing

We've been tricked, ladies. When the gaucho pant starting appearing I thought to myself, "Now here's a trend that logically should die a quick death." But no, I was wrong. Many of us have been seduced by elastic waists and soft jersey-like fabrics into thinking that we're comfortable and stylish. The bad news is that we're only comfortable. In reality, most of us look like squares. Literally, we look as though we walked into a store and asked the sales person if they had something that would make us look a little shorter and a little wider, preferably like a square. Of course, if you're pushing 6 feet, you can likely get away with this because you're tall, so anything that takes away height isn't going to kill you. For the rest of us, it's just a bad idea. This isn't to say capris are bad. A more structured short pant seems to minimize the damage.

If you're reading this and you're a fan of the gaucho pant, I mean no offense. Be comfortable. Do as you like. Go forth and gaucho all day long. I myself looked borderline homeless today, so it's not like I have a ton of room to talk here. But, if you insist on the comfort of the gaucho pant, for the love of God, please don't think you're looking even sportier by adding socks and tennis shoes. You're looking mommier. And no one wants that.

Consider this my public service announcement for the month.

2 comments:

Roonie said...

I think gauchos seem to work for a lot of people. Namely people without any body whatsoever. I, on the other hand, have hips and ass to make your unborn children cry. So no, they are not for me.

Anonymous said...

As someone with no hips, no butt, not even knees or calves, I think I look like a tool in them. However, I have seen the same body, stretched out by about a foot, look great in them.